- Nothing lasts forever in this world, and your sewer line is no exception. That’s why despite how strong and expensive the sewer pipe you might have running underneath your property at the moment, there are certain points where repiping is the most sensible solution to get it back up and running. When the need arises, it’s only natural to be particular about the value you’ll get out of it. In this blog, you will learn the different benefits you can take advantage of when you go for sewer pipe replacement. This is a very helpful guide to those who are now weighing their options on whether or not this repair solution is the best for them. To help you make a sound decision and clear any misconceptions, keep reading on.
5 Plumbing Habits You Need to Change
- 1. Treating garbage disposal as a wastebasket – Drains should work without a problem under good conditions, but when you start caring less about what you put into it, it can jam up even when you have a garbage disposal. Yes, you’re reading it right. Garbage disposals can only handle a limited range of food scraps. That means, even if it can grind food scraps to pieces, there are still certain foods that you need to avoid tossing down like butter, starchy foods, fruit and vegetable peels, eggshells, meat bones, solvents, and other non-liquid foods. The scraps from these foods will only get through the disposal and down your drains. When these items come in contact with each other they will clump together and create a blockage.
- Garbage disposal usually has no problem grinding up most food waste, but it’s what happens after grinding that causes a clog. Clogs are usually the result of the 2 things that happen during the grinding process. First, how the food scrap was broken down. The second is the amount of water used during the grinding process. If the wrong type of food is thrown down the drain, or there’s not enough water used during the grinding process, a clog can develop in the P-trap. To avoid this problem, better yet throw food scraps in the garbage. To avoid encouraging clogs in your drain, better yet throw food scraps into the garbage bin.
- 2. Using chemical cleaners in the drain – Chemical drain cleaners are just terrible for your drains. Whether you have metal or PVC pipes the harsh chemicals it contains can cause severe damage to your pipes. It’s also a common misconception that drain chemicals are powerful enough to clear clogs. They don’t do any good but harm your drains. They only eat through the blockage while you let it sit in your drains. During this process, the corrosive acids work on the joints first and then continue to move on to the pipes, and without a guaranteed permanent fix. Eventually, the blockage starts to rebuild and the vicious cycle continues until your pipe wears away. If you think you have been using chemical drain cleaners for a long time, call Revolution Pipe Relining. We can feed through a drain camera into your pipe and fix joints and pipe surfaces that were eaten away with our drain pipe relining method.
- 3. Pouring grease down the sink – The greatest favour you can give your drains is to keep those grease, fat, and oil away. You might be surprised but even a small amount of grease poured down daily can cause long-term damage to your drains. When you pour grease into your sink, it travels down your pipe and into the sewers where they meet up with other waste to form a clog. This will make flushing of water difficult to do. So, the next time you’re done cooking your favourite fried bacon, toss the cooking oil into a resealable jar, wipe the grease off your cooking ware with a paper towel and dispose of them properly. Keep in mind that small changes in your habits every day can really make a huge difference in the long run.
- 4. Flushing too much toilet paper – They say too much of something is bad enough. The same is true with your plumbing. Toilet paper when used excessively can also become a culprit for clogged toilet drains. Therefore, the limitation is the key. The next time you take a leak or dump, try to be conservative in the amount of toilet paper you use and don’t flush more than what seems unreasonable. Toilet paper is meant to dissolve but you can’t really trust other brands. They take time to dissolve and when used excessively can ball up, combine with other sewer waste and cause massive clogs.
- 5. Resorting to DIY remedy – There’s nothing wrong with challenging yourself to do simple repairs or to save on repair costs, but these are also the reasons why we end up fixing a botched plumbing job. Your brain plays a vital role in keeping your plumbing at home working at its best. DIY fixes or home remedies are nothing but just a hit and miss solution. It doesn’t guarantee a permanent fix. If this is the case, why compromise your drains? Call the drain experts instead like the drain relining Sydney experts to fix problems with your drains for good.
What should you do?
Don’t take your drains to chance. Make some effort to change a few of your plumbing habits that are not doing any good on your drains at all! At the end of the day, it’s only you who will suffer the consequences of what you’re doing. So, if there’s anything you can do to stop or limit the things that are harming your drains, do it now.
If you’re concerned your drain is already compromised, call the drain pipe relining companies Sydney, like ourselves. We’ll send someone to your home to inspect the system further. We are pipe relining services Sydney professionals and we can fix drain damages for you. Remember, just like any type of repair john in your home, you could be paying more for the drain relining cost if you take drain repair to the last minute.