- If you had a long day and ended up with a blocked toilet, we understand the urgency to hit your bed and leave the headache until the morning. No one wants to bother a plumber for a clogged toilet at night. But is it okay to leave your toilets in bad shape? It may not be. Like any problem you wait to fix later, there are also potential consequences of leaving your toilet as-is for extended hours, which, while it is unlikely to cause worse things to happen immediately, are not worth the risk.
- If we’re talking about an interval of 2-3 hours, you may be fine, but if it has been more than a few hours that you haven’t asked a plumber to look at the problem, there is some risk. Here are a few consequences you should be aware of before you decide to leave the toilet in a dreadful state.
Why it’s Not Okay to Leave the Toilet Clogged Overnight?
- You’ll end up with a sewage backup – A clogged toilet is no laughing matter. You could be waking up to a bigger mess than you expect. When you wait it out, there’s a great chance that the water will overflow along with other things swimming in the drain because it has nowhere to go. Leaving you with a contaminated home. When this happens, you need to do more than just scrub the floor and collect the waste. You need to disinfect the area, or your entire home to make sure the dirty water won’t leave any traces of dirt and toxic materials that can put you and your family’s health at risk. At this point, you should call a professional for a blocked toilet fix and investigate the problem further.
- Your home will stink – Homeowners are used to the fact that when they flush, everything goes away. But, you probably might not realise just how much of a mess and smell a clogged toilet will leave you after a few hours of leaving it untreated. When a toilet is severely blocked or reaches a point of sewage backup, it releases air-borne contaminants from bacteria growing on the waste sitting on the blocked toilet drain. These contaminants can lead to symptoms like cramping, dizziness, fever and vomiting. In the worst case, a person can experience gastroenteritis. This problem is unhealthy and makes dealing with the clog the following day more unsanitary.
- You’ll worsen the problem – If you leave a clogged toilet longer, you’re only making the problem worse. When you clear a clog, for the most part, only those parts of the clog that are water-soluble are dissolved and flushed away. The rest will fill in sections of the toilet drain with fissures, making the clog worse. Human error can also come into play. The problem might slip your mind until the next time you flush, leading to immediate sewage backup. It is also right this time when some homeowners can get cranky and reach for chemical drain cleaners in the hope of clearing the clog right away. But it will only do more harm than good to your plumbing. This product rarely works as promised, especially on stubborn clogs, but only causes damage to your pipes.
- You’ll end up with a completely non-working toilet – If you have another bathroom to use in the morning, leaving a clog may not be much of a problem, but if this is not the case in your home, don’t wait any longer to get a blocked toilet plumber to come and fix the problem. A toilet that is acting up might be a random annoyance, but it can also be a warning of a more significant issue lurking down the line. In addition, the longer you allow the clog to sit in your toilet drain, the more opportunity it has to put pressure on the wax ring leading to leaks.
Warning Signs of a Serious Clog
- There are many reasons why a toilet could clog. Identifying the major issues causing the blockages is the best way to avoid future problems.
- • Poor flushing power
- • Gurgling sounds
- • Toilet Bowl Full or Overflowing
- • Persistent odours
- • Overflowing gully trap
What should you do?
A clogged toilet is a ticking bomb. So it is never a good idea to leave it on a bad note at night or at any point in time, especially when you’re beginning to notice the warning signs above. Action the problem head-on! If you have a plunger or an auger that can do the job, that’s a great start rather than doing nothing. But, only do it when you know what you’re doing. Reckon with, making mistakes on a clogged toilet will only worsen the problem.
If you don’t want to end up with a toilet full to the brim of filthy sewage or a completely malfunctioning toilet, advise the professionals right away. We can save you from the potential expensive repairs and associated risks when the problem worsens.
The wisest decision is to call Revolution Pipe Relining right away, although the situation is not as bad as you think. We can inspect the toilet further for other problems and fix your blocked toilet for good!